Outdoor HOA events are a great way to get people out of the house and into the neighborhood.
Summer is the perfect opportunity to create community among your neighborhood and HOA. Below are are three of our favorite outdoor HOA event ideas and tips for getting the word out.
Three outdoor HOA events for summer
Who doesn’t love an outdoor movie night? Movie nights are blissful HOA events for kids and adults alike. For adults, it’s a welcome time warp of slower days, and for kids, depending on the movie and snack selection—nothing is more thrilling!
Here’s what you need:
- A location—some open space where families can camp out with blankets and snacks.
- If you’re feeling generous, some type of popcorn vendor or dispenser is fantastic. Sometimes you can find a local vendor who offers a variety of popcorn types (cheese, butter, caramel), which would be a hit.
- Projector, large screen and a movie. Fun Flicks is one resource that offers a one-stop shop for all your equipment and licensing. Keep in mind that depending on your location and attendance, you might need to obtain public performance rights, but Fun Flicks can help with that as well.
- Last, just make sure to communicate the time, the date, and the BYOBs (blankets, beer, beverages, etc.).
- Community clubhouses and cul-de-sacs are the perfect parking spots.
- Tables can be set up or you can simply encourage people to bring folding chairs.
- Create a food-truck fundraiser for your HOA by collecting money beforehand for meals and including a field for an additional donation to support community organizations.
- An outdoor space with enough room for all participants.
- An instructor (or outdoor screen).
- Remind everyone to bring their own yoga mats or towels and a water bottle to stay hydrated.
If it’s a hit, make it a monthly event! Use Cheddar Up, create a collection page with 12 items (one for each month), and let folks sign up and chip in to make it worth your instructor’s time.
Spread the word
Pro Tip: Promote early and often!
Use ALL your communication channels, including email, text message and other social platforms to engage your HOA. Your collection page URL is a powerful marketing tool and meant to be shared well in advance. You can even create a QR Code to print on flyers that will link directly to your page. Announcing your HOA events early has the added benefit on gauging attendance and collecting associated costs a few weeks in advance.
When your HOA sets the available quantity for the event spots, Cheddar Up will count down as neighbors reserve their spot and will display “Sold Out” when all have been purchased.
Pro Tip: Print flyers
To reach everyone regardless of their digital savvy, many HOAs distribute printed flyers and create signage for their HOA events. Quickly generate a QR code that allows you to share your collection page with your community and is easy to include in digital and printed materials.
Give it a try! Take a screenshot of the QR code in the example to open a collection.